Monday, September 12, 2016

My Soundscape

Nothing was as exhilarating as having the opportunity to go out into the world and see it from a new perspective, one purely composed of sound waves. When I completely shut out the visual world, I could see it being built in front of me audibly. Using University of North Carolina at Wilmington as our main source of sound bites, we as a group were lead to corners and crannies of campus we would never have adventured too if not on the hunt for genuine sounds. It was not all good times however; in fact only after we recorded all of our sound bites did we encounter one of the sound designers biggest adversaries, wild noises. I spent a majority of my time adding high pass filters to all of my sounds recorded outside. Filtering out unwanted noises from my clips was difficult, but when it came to blending the audio together I found myself quite comfortable composing the sounds into a single orchestral soundscape. I was not expecting a project based around two-minutes of audio to take as long as it did to finish. I took for granted the thought that because I was not working with video the process would be simpler, but I learned video shows a variety of ways your sequence could potentially go. Ironically enough sequencing only audio with no visual to work off of is quite challenging. Luckily I enjoy a good challenge, and sure enough this doozy was right up my alley. What I took away from this project was patience. One must live by these sounds to fully see how they can fit together like a puzzle, and until you do so they remain a cacophony of sounds awaiting reconfiguration. I would greatly enjoy creating a soundscape for a synesthesia project so that I might have a slight reference to work off of, while still having the option to make my own creative choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment