Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Reflective Self

To capture a self portrait, I must first conceive what that self is through deep inner reflection. It is in this meditative state that I can separate truth from fiction, and catch a glimpse of myself at my rawest form. I see myself surfing through life, the board gliding across all of my happiest memories. Now unfortunately as poetic as reflective Parker sounds, real Parker cannot actually surf. However, my long boarding skills are quite advanced; and, the way I ride my board over pavement I consider to be surfing. For this project I plan on recording myself on my long board; however, my face will not be the sole subject. I believe the idea of one's self cannot be captured in a mere profile, nor through conventional camera shots. I plan to mobilize the camera just as I myself am mobile riding my long board. Keeping the camera steady can be accomplished with my GoPro's steady mount. To break into the bounds of unconventional camera work I am thinking a single continuous shot, incorporating the help of others to mobilize props to follow my trek. The band Ok Go's music videos really inspire me. It is there degree of pushing what can be done in one continuous shot that I want to mimic. It is a tall order, but I can envision how it will play out. I see the allure in simplicity. The above mentioned props can be rudimentary in design by all means. It is choreographing my assistants, and nailing correct beats that will prove to be challenging. I will utilize all of the knowledge I have learned taking my blocking course here at UNCW, but it is basic knowledge so only time will tell if I had what it took to pull this arduous shot off.

No comments:

Post a Comment